Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Amy rules! :D

First up, I want to show off this awesome quilt Amy made me for my birthday!! She brought it to sit and stitch tonight, but I told her it was to early to give to me. She proceeded to ignore me and gave it to me anyways! I'm glad she did, because it's really awesome. It's made from the Chubby Chicks pattern using some of the new Jay McCarroll fabrics. She has been posting little pieces of it on her blog for the last couple of weeks, and every time I saw a little corner of it I was hoping it was for me. :D





Next up is some stuff that I actually made. I made another one of my skirts. This one doesn't have any pockets because I didn't want to mar the beauty of the fabric by putting pockets on it. I haven't worn it yet, but maybe I'll wear it to work Thursday night (and get someone to take better pictures of it).



Early last week I felt the urge to alter a t-shirt. So I grabbed one that I'd bought at the thrift store for that exact purpose and started hacking away! It's actually inside out, as it had Goofy on the front originally (I bought it for the color). So, I made a v-neck in the back, split it down the front and tied them on the sides and brought in the side seams. I then discovered that I really don't take good pictures of myself. You can sort of get the idea -



Next up is this super awesome bag!!!!! I've been wanting to make this bag since I went to Quilt Market last fall and grabbed the New Handmade book. I finally conned my mom into letting me make a sample this week. I used fabrics from the Wonderland line by MoMo for Moda. The main fabric that I used for the outside of the bag is a twill. We have three of the prints in twill and 17 in quilting weight. The deal is that I have to sell X number of books before I can get it back and use it, so if anyone is feeling sorry for me, go to Quilting Adventures and buy a copy of the New Handmade. It's a really awesome book. Not only does it have this cute bag, but it's also got some really awesome quick and easy projects. There are a couple of other bags, potholders, laptop sleeves, notebook covers, and a scarf. I adapted the pattern slightly - I used fusible fleece instead of stabilizer (I ended up ripping it out of the seams cuz it was too bulky), I sewed the handle into the bag as opposed to the outside, and I didn't put a closure in. Oh, and I added more pockets to the inside. I love pockets.











Virginia weather is notoriously stupid. Last Wednesday it hit 80, the next day the high was 30 and it snowed. Not only has it made me sick, it really screws with our flowers. I love springtime, so I was quick to jump out with my camera last week and try and grab some pictures before everything froze to death.





I love this statue. My mom has had it ever since I can remember, and there's just something about it. A charm that is there, but yet unexplainable.....




"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love your quilt. I've been watching Amy and her chubby chicks on her blog and I love them! You've been sewing like crazy lately - great projects!

Joyce said...

I'm pretty sure grammy gave me the statue. She (I think) has one just like it. :-)

Anonymous said...

The messenger bag looks so great in those fabrics! I love the extra pockets, too. Glad to see folks making little changes according to their preferences. If you have a Flickr account you should add this project to The New Handmade pool--it's be a welcome addition!

That quilt is SO cute. I love pinwheels, and those round little birds are totally adorable.

SewAmy said...

thanks Phoebe, I am so happy you like it. LOVE your new bag. and can't wait for you to show me how to make that skirt.

Unknown said...

Amy is amazingly talented! As are you! Please teach a class to make that bag! I really love it!

Joyce Hartley said...

I'm testing something here. :-)